- In a blender, combine pineapple juice, scallions, onion, scotch bonnet peppers, garlic, sugar, soy sauce, ginger, thyme, bay leaves, allspice, cloves, garlic powder, nutmeg, onion powder, 1 teaspoon each salt and black pepper. Blend until smooth.
- Pat chicken dry and season with ½ teaspoon each salt and pepper, then place in a large bowl. Pour 2 cups of marinade over chicken and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate chicken for at least 2 hours or up to overnight for best results. (Refrigerate remaining marinade in an airtight container and use on other meat, vegetables, tofu, etc.)
- Heat grill to medium-high; clean and oil grates. Grill chicken, turning occasionally, until chicken is seared and lightly charred in spots, 8 to 12 minutes.
- Move chicken to cooler part of grill (or turn to low) and brush with reserved marinade that chicken was sitting in. Grill covered until chicken is cooked through or an instant-read thermometer registers 165°F, 10 to 15 minutes for white meat and 18 to 20 mins for dark meat.
- If using optional glaze: In a small bowl, whisk together ketchup and soy sauce. Brush chicken on both sides with glaze and grill, turning once, until the glaze just starts to bubble, 4 to 6 minutes more.
1 c. pineapple juice
5 scallions, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
4 scotch bonnet peppers or habaneros, seeded and deveined
12 cloves garlic
1/4 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. soy sauce
4 tbsp. chopped fresh ginger, from 2 (2”) pieces
12 sprigs fresh thyme
3 bay leaves
2 tsp. ground allspice or 10 whole allspice berries
1 tsp. whole cloves
1 tsp. ground nutmeg
Freshly ground black pepper
1 (3.5- to 4-lb.) whole chicken, cut into pieces, or 4 lb. mixed chicken parts
Vegetable oil, for grill
1/4 c. ketchup
2 tbsp. soy sauce